History of Ellsworth, Wisconsin
Ellsworth has a population of 3295
and is located in the geographical
center of Pierce County, with the
intersection of four major highways,
namely Highway 10, 63, 65 and 72 and
is proud to be the County Seat for
Pierce County, known as the hub of
county activity with the presence of
the county courthouse modeled after
the Wisconsin State
Capitol building. The former
governor Anthony S. Earl proclaimed
Ellsworth in 1984 the Cheese Curd
Capitol of Wisconsin.
Ellsworth's first settler, Anthony
Huddleston, was joined by C.B.
Bruce, E.M. Bruce, Wilson Kinney and
their families, with others
following in 1857 building homes and
setting up businesses and the town
of Perry was set off, which was
later renamed Ellsworth.
Ellsworth was platted as a village
in 1862 and incorporated under the
laws of Wisconsin in 1887. In 1885
the Omaha Railroad established a
depot one mile east of Ellsworth and
the community of East Ellsworth was
formed. Ellsworth and East Ellsworth
operated independently from one
another for some time, now they
function as one village.
Ellsworth was renamed after Civil
War Colonel, Elmer E. Ellsworth; his
likeness symbolizes the strength of
our striving community.